Please choose: 2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 (MkIV) or 2006-07 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
If you had to choose one of these for a high-altitude climate with seasonal wintry conditions, which would it be and why? Assume that the primary purpose of the vehicle is to be a ‘fun’ car, and that practicality (while useful and appreciated) is somewhat secondary.
A quick comparison of the most important figures:
- 3.2 liter naturally-aspirated VR6 engine
- 240 HP @ 6,250 rpm; 236 ft lb @ 2,800 rpm
- Curb weight: 3,409 lbs (ouch)
- MSRP (new): $29,100
- Average current resale value: $15,689 (source)
- 2.5 liter turbocharged flat-four Boxer engine
- 230 HP @ 5,600 rpm; 235 ft lb @ 3,600 rpm
- Curb weight: 3,192 lbs
- MSRP (new): $24,495
- Average current value: $11,737 – $13,937 (source)
Of course, pictures:
We have our own thoughts on this but are curious what others have to say. Have at it!
(Image credit: Daemon42 on vwvortex)